Spring is in full swing, and warmer weather is sure to bring springtime storms across the country. Our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) see an increase in calls when things go awry during inclement weather. Read our tips for avoiding common pitfalls during storm season to keep your pets safe:
1. Designate a shelter. During severe storms, you may choose to take shelter in the interior of your home, perhaps in a basement or small interior room, such as a bathroom. Make sure your pets are acquainted with the area of your house you designate as a storm shelter, so they’ll have no trouble joining you there when the time comes.
2. Watch for poisons. Make sure the shelter inside your home is free of dangers for pets. Many people keep rodent poison in their basements, and unfortunately, pets are very good at finding baits and may eat them.
3. Ease storm anxiety. Many pets experience storm anxiety and may be prescribed medications to help them cope. It is best to give your pet a practice dose of the medication prior to a storm to see how your pet will react to the medication. Also, make sure your veterinarian is on hand during your test run in case questions or concerns arise.
4. Be prepared to evacuate. Leashes or carriers, food, medication and water are a few of the important things you will want to have handy in case you have to leave your home during a storm. Also, for pets that like to hide, identify their hiding places or place them somewhere you will be able to find them if severe weather is predicted.
5. Make sure to have a pet first aid kit handy in case of an emergency. Visit ASPCA Pro for a handy guide for creating your own pet first aid kit.
Please visit APCC to find out more about items that could be poisonous to your furry friends. APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency—24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.
When deciding on a website, choosing between a template and a custom design can be difficult. Let 3 Sided Media help!
Social media is one of the ways clients discover goods and services in the web-driven market today.
Our work for you begins where other website companies end. Once your website is completed, our team just getting started.